Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Lake Winnebago Update

It turns out that just when you feel like you have figured out a lake, the lake changes.  This year, we have yet to catch a perch on Lake Winnebago and the DNR perch estimates are not good.

We have spent most of our time jigging and casting small reefs on the west side of Lake Winnebago for walleyes.  The most effective strategy has just been to use a jig and a third of a crawler suspended under a bobber.

Unfortunately, sheephead also very much enjoy this technique, so bring plenty of crawlers.

To fish the reefs, you really need a fishfinder with a Lakemaster chip or some other type of topographic map.  I use the Lakemaster chip, but I have found the Navionics App on my phone (for only $10) to be almost as good.

I have not noticed many people trolling lately so the best I can figure is that most people are struggling like we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment