Wednesday, January 21, 2015

January 16-18 Tomahawk Trip


I only catch monsters
 My friend Mike at work owns a lake place on Muskellunge Lake in Tomahawk, WI.  For the last few years he has been gracious enough to invite a bunch of co workers up for a guy's weekend. This year, my buddy Kevin (pictured above) convinced me to bring some fishing equipment.

We had never been out on this lake before, so I just followed my own advice from my last blog.  We set up some tip ups 2 feet off the bottom in 4-10 feet of water.  After getting bit a couple times on one in 7 feet of water, we moved all our tip ups to this range.  At about 3:00PM a flag popped and line started peeling out.  Kevin pulled the flag and caught his personal best northern pike.  I was impressed by Kevin's ability to play out some line, get the right angle, and pop a perfect hook set into this beauty.

It is important to note, this was my first real attempt at pike fishing without steel leaders.  This guy bite on a tip up rigged with 30lb fluorocarbon line and despite taking the hook well into its mouth, it did not cut the leader.  We had 5 tip ups out, and the only one that never got bit was the one with a steel leader.


No comments:

Post a Comment