Monday, August 11, 2014

Winnebago Perch are on FIRE!

Dad with his personal best
catfish...we estimate it at 20 lbs.
The scale was not functioning.
48 keepers on the day.














Dad with one of the bigger
gills I have seen in some time

  Spent Saturday out on Winnebago's, east side doing some perch and walleye fishing.  Never found any walleyes greater than 10", but we did find our way into some spectacular perch fishing.  It has been a while since I have decided that I was tired of catching big perch, but Saturday was that day.

Unlike the previous time out, the fish were NOT in the 11 foot range...rather they had moved out into 13 feet.

To find them, I recommend starting shallow and slowly drifting deep until you get some bites...then when you find some active fish, anchor and try a variety of methods.

Travis with his personal best
perch.  ~11"
The bait of the day again was a red worm on a plain gold hook.  This technique out fished all others by at least 3:1.

Dad took the multi species crown today (as well as the perch crown).  His giant catfish in the upper left was caught on his ultralight and bit a small piece of worm under a slip bobber in about 11.5 feet of water.

All in all, great trip.

I have preached catch and release in my previous posts, and I realize this is my second post in a row with fish being kept.  All previous fish were consumed during a family fish fry and the 48 kept here were divided amongst three families.

No comments:

Post a Comment